A historic survey of Purkersdorf

The earliest settlements of Purkersdorf date back to the 8th century B.C. A village was founded round 1000 A.D, and in the middle of the 12th century a massive, moated castle (castrum Purchartsdorf) was historically mentioned.
Village and castle changed owners frequently until the Hapsburg dynasty bought them in 1333.
Like all the surroundings of Vienna, Purkersdorf was devastated during both Turkish sieges of Vienna in 1529 and 1683.
Its position on the imperial highway, which followed the historic Roman road, was of great importance for the community. The “Burkherdorffer” post-house can be dated back to 1558 but it is certainly much older. It was re-built in 1796/97 in early neo-classical style, and the relief decorations on this building can still be seen today.
In 1713 almost half of the population of the village was wiped out by the plague, which had been brought in from Vienna. In August 1842 a great fire burned down the post-house, the church and the school as well as 13 houses.
It was only in 1849 that Purkersdorf was decreed its own independent municipality. From 1856 to 1858 the predecessor of today’s westbound railway was built connecting the village to the modern transport system. The voluntary fire brigade was founded in 1873, and a sanatorium planned by Joseph Hoffmann, was opened in 1905.
In 1929 Purkersdorf received its market town charter. During the Nazi area, however, it was incorporated into the 14th district of Vienna. At the end of the Second World War Purkersdorf was occupied and administrated by the Soviets until 1949.
On September 1st, 1954 the market town seceded from Vienna regaining its independent status, and in 1966 it received its town charter.

Purkersdorf has got several twin towns. The first one was Bad Säckingen, Germany (1973). Sanary-sur-Mer, France, and Göstling an der Ybbs, Lower Austria, followed.
Purkersdorf is situated right at the border to Vienna. The River Wien, which flows through the town, has caused major floods again and again, the last ones in 1940, 1997 and 2002. Surrounded by the Vienna Woods the town houses the new headquarters of the Austrian Federal Forests (Österreichische Bundesforste).

Where is Purkersdorf ?


Lower Austria


Musikerheim in der Alois Mayergasse